International Master in Adapted Physical Activity
The International Master Programme in Adapted Physical Activity (IMAPA) is a 2 year (120 credits) Master’s programme in partnership between the University of Leuven (KU Leuven, Belgium), the University of Olomouc (UP; Czech Republic), and a number of associate partners across Europe. IMAPA aims to provide state-of-the-art research and teaching methodology in adapted physical activity and the social, pedagogical, and technical aspects of physical activity adapted to the needs of persons with a disability.
Objectives of the Master's Programme
The objective of the master's programme is to combine the competencies of a number of European universities in order to offer the students a comprehensive training and adequate knowledge in the many aspects of Adapted Physical Activity (APA).
- To educate competent and critical professionals, who are able to design and evaluate adapted physical activity programs using an evidence-based approach. The course will provide the competencies to work in 3 professional areas: education (special needs schools), rehabilitation (late stage), and sports settings (competitive and recreational). It caters for working with individuals with a variety of disabilities both physical and mental across the life-span.
- To educate people to participate in research to advance the field of APA . The course offers basic scientific skills which will enable graduates to pursue an academic career or undertake further research or doctoral study.
- To educate people in identifying APA needs in different countries and seek out multicultural collaboration to enhance the opportunities for people with a disability.
How is the programme organized?
The program is organised in partnership between the University of Leuven (KU Leuven, Belgium), the University of Olomouc (UP; Czech Republic), and a number of associate partners across Europe.
- Catholic University of Leuven (KU Leuven), Belgium
- Palacky University Olomouc (UP), Czech Republic
- Assiociate partners: Partnership agreements are currently being established. The list will be updated in the coming weeks.